Back to School time. No more sleeping in and having a leisurely weekday breakfast at 8:00 or 9:00 am… now it’s time to think about what you’re going to feed your kids (or yourself!) on school mornings. Meals that don’t take too much preparation. Meals that appeal. Meals that pack a heck of a lot of nutrition in something easy to eat/drink right before the bus comes.
Here is a super delicious, super healthy vegetarian breakfast smoothie that will tide you and your kids over until morning snack time or lunch time. It has everything a healthy breakfast has: protein, calcium and other nutrients, whole-grain oats and lots of fruit.
The Berry Mango Breakfast Smoothie is a basic formula smoothie, meaning there is room for substitution to fit your family’s preferences on fruits and liquid ingredients. Have fun making these and don’t forget to drink one yourself.
Berry Mango Breakfast Smoothie
Makes two 12 ounce smoothies
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries or other berries
- 1 cup coconut milk or any kind of milk
- 5 ice cubes, crushed or whole
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Mexican vanilla
- 1 satsuma (aka cutie, mandarin orange)
- 1 mango
- 1/3 cup raw rolled oats
- 1 T. maple syrup (optional. Our berries were really tart so we added this)
- Put everything in a blender and pulse til smooth
- Add more ice if you want, or more liquid if it’s too thick for you (you might consider adding lemon juice, orange juice or any other kind of juice or another satsuma orange)
- If you don’t have Mexican vanilla, regular vanilla will do.
- Use whatever you want for sweetener.
- The oats give this smoothie body, a lovely flavor, and lots of nutrition. Taken together, these ingredients make a tasty and nourishing breakfast for your kids as they head out the door for school.
- Substitute whatever fruits float your boat! If you use fruit that is a little less tangy, add some lemon juice for zip and pizzazz.
- Remember, it’s kind of a formula smoothie recipe, so tweak and invent to your heart’s delight!