Saturday Smoothies: Peach Almond Raspberry Grin
Okay, friends, here is my first official Saturday Smoothies recipe for your healthy pleasure: I’m callin it a Peach Almond Raspberry Grin. Not sure I’ve ever heard of a smoothie referred to as a “grin” but I decided it fits perfectly. This one made me smile — so there you are.
Pink is a healthy color. It’s pretty. Winter pink cheeks imply you’ve been outside in the fresh air. Blushing is good — you’re expressing emotion and that’s always a good thing, right? Pink food (well, red food) is loaded — I mean loaded — with anti-oxidant phytochemicals. So today we have a very pink smoothie. Frozen peaches. Fresh raspberries (yummmmm) frozen banana, coconut milk, raw almonds, flax meal, a tich of vanilla and a sprink of lime zest. mmm-hmmm. Get your blender out!
This is a lovely Nutritarian recipe. The peaches are a very high-nutrient-density food, raspberries are some of the highest anti-oxidant foods on Earth, almonds will make you smart and flax basically equals Omega-3 fatty acids (anti-inflammation anyone?) Every single thing in this smoothie is loaded with stuff that will make you healthy, make you satisfied and make you smile!
Here’s the recipe. Makes enough for one:
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup peach slices
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup or more coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 T flax meal
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. lime zest (or other citrus zest)
- Put everything in a blender and pulse til blended smooth.
- You might need to add more liquid to make it the way you like it. I just added more coconut milk, but you could also add juice you’ve saved from canned pineapple, or whatever.
- Experiment: add whatever other ingredients float your boat. Maybe almond flavoring instead of vanilla (careful, a couple drops is enough) … add nutmeg (marvelously goes with peaches) or substitute some other liquid instead of coconut milk. Soy milk is good. So is unsweetened almond milk.