Saturday Smoothies: Mango Watermelon Medley
I’ve never forgotten the taste of the agua frescas my friends and I used to buy in market stalls when we traveled around Central America. My favorite was really sweet — watermelon chunks blended up with water, ice (and probably some sugar.) I was fascinated by the large jars of cut-up fruits and ice on the market shelves. Anyway, as I’ve been inventing smoothies this summer, I remembered those watermelon agua frescas and decided to try a watermelon smoothie. Next on my list is to try a real agua fresca. Maybe with guava.
- 2 cups watermelon chunks (or about 1/4 of a mini watermelon) frozen
- 1 mango
- 2 cups coconut milk (for a lighter taste, use very cold water instead)
- 4 cubes ice
- 1/2 lemon or lime, peel and all
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (optional)
- 1 T sugar or 1 tsp. honey (optional)
- Add everything to a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Taste for whatever level of sweetness you like and adjust.
- The lemon or lime you add should include the peel. The peel adds a fresh tangy flavor.
- I added the raspberries because the watermelon I bought had less flavor than I like, so I wanted to punch up the flavor. We had raspberries in the fridge so I tossed them into the mix.
- Enjoy the cool fresh flavor of this fruit medley!